- 1 lb chicken breast or thigh, cubed (minced pork or beef can also be used)
- 1 medium sized onion, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium potato, diced
- 1 small carrot, diced
- 1 cup water or chicken broth
- 1 cup green peas
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- cooking oil
- 3 cups flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup butter
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 1 egg (for egg wash)
- Combine all the dry dough ingredients in a bowl. Add butter in the mixture by rubbing it until it looks like coarse bread crumbs.
- Add the cold water, and knead until you form a soft and smooth dough ball. Chill in the refrigerator for half an hour.
- Heat the oil, and then sauté the garlic and onion.
- Add the chicken and cook until it turns brown.
- Add the carrots and potatoes and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Pour in the water or chicken broth and let it simmer until the carrots and potatoes are tender.
- Add the raisins and green peas and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Drain any liquid. Set aside and allow to cool.
- Press the dough on a floured surface. Use a rolling pin to flatten to about 1/8” thick, and cut it into 4” circles with a bowl and cookie cutter.
- Put about 1-2 teaspoons of the filling in the middle of the dough.
- Fold the dough to make the edges meet and form a half circle.
- Seal by pressing the edges with a fork.
- Beat egg white and a little water.
- Brush the crust with the egg wash.
- Fry in a saucepan at medium high. Constantly flip them to avoid burning.
- Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel to drain excess oil.
- You can also bake them at 200° C (400° F) for about 20 to 25 minutes or until they turn light brown.
- Allow to cool off before serving.
- Enjoy! Caution: Filling is hot.